April 23, 2010

My Dream Last Night

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. --One of my favorite quotes. It's from Albert Einstein

Here's another:

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us "universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. (also by Einstein)

I had a dream last night of a chalkboard drawing that came to life. It was of a hand with red fingernail polish. The fingers were waving at me, and the palm cradled a galaxy. The drawing below is an approximation. The dream has lingered and colored my day. I think it has to do with my despair about the dying planet. Maybe someone is telling me that everything is as it should be. That it's all right. Just like I don't digest my food or keep my heart beating, some force is guiding the course of the universe. It's out of our hands. I don't know.

She's got the whole world in her hand

No comments: